Sunscreen is the most skipped product of our skincare routine. However, it must fall under a never skip mandatory product for your skin which not only protects you from sunburn but also protects you from screen cancer caused by UV rays and aging. It also consists of zinc oxide that acts as a chemical blocker and absorbs the sun’s ultraviolet rays. When you get familiar with these benefits, a question does click in your mind, “which is the best sunscreen recommended by dermatologists in India?’’ Before moving ahead let’s get familiar with the benefits of applying sunscreen to your face.
Benefits Of Sunscreen
Many of you might not know, our skin plays a vital role in maintaining the body’s temperature and protecting against germs. In return, the protection of the skin from exposure to the sun’s harmful radiation cannot be skipped. So, here are some valid reasons for using sunscreen:
- Protects from harmful UV rays
Depletion of the ozone layer and pollution in India has kept us at higher risk of getting affected by the harmful rays of the sun. Along with Vitamin D, your skin requires protection from UV rays. An ingredient, SPF and PA+++ in every sunscreen provides your skin protection from these rays which are more likely to cause skin cancer.
- Prevents Sunburns
Sunburns can cause peeling, redness, hives, and itching to your skin which is generally caused by UVB rays. Sunscreen provides your skin protection from UVB rays and risk of the skin cancer. The broad-spectrum sunscreen prevents your skin from such damage.
- Prevents Skin Cancer
One of the best ways to reduce skin cancer is sunscreen recommended by health experts. You can use broad-spectrum with at least an SPF of 15. Although Indian people with darker skin ton contain a higher amount of melanin acting as natural protection, still have a risk of skin cancer and sun damage if they do not use sunscreen. As per DR. Rashmi Shetty, Cosmetic Dermatologist, Indian skin requires higher SPF, ranging between 30 and 50.
- Prevents hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone.
Indians are highly prone to hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone due to direct exposure to the sun. Sunscreen works as a preventive layer on our skin and protects it from uneven skin tone and tanning.
- Prevents broken blood vessels
Breaking of blood vessels also known as telangiectasia, UV rays can cause breakdown of your skin’s blood vessel walls. It makes them thin leaving an appearance of bleeding or bruising. Sunscreen prevents your blood vessels from the damage of the skin’s blood vessels due to exposure to the sun.
Various products are floating over the market along with duplicate copies of the original. Tons of sunscreen products exist with astonishing ads claiming themself as the best of all products. With pretty ads, labeling and various naming choices might be quite confusing. Ads cannot be the right source to choose the correct one. Why not use as per the recommendation of a dermatologist?’ As experts recommendation is always best to go with!
So, we are here with the 13 best sunscreens recommended by dermatologists. Also, you will get familiar with the chemicals that sunscreen has and their benefits. It will make it easier to understand the benefits of adding one of these to your skincare routine as per your skin type.
13 best sunscreen recommended by a dermatologist in India
Re’equil Oxybenzone and OMC Free Sunscreen
Re’equil Oxybenzone and OMC Free Sunscreen have advanced UVA and UVB fitters. Ingredients used in this sunscreen do not clog the pores which makes it applicable to sensitive skin as well with its light wear formula making it one of the best sunscreen recommended by a dermatologist in India
- Re’equil Oxybenzone and OMC Free Sunscreen lotion has light ingredients which are suitable for acne-prone oily skin as well.
- It has SPF 50 PA+++ which provides UVA and UVB protection for up to 6 hours with one-time application for the day.
- All the ingredients are safe which ensures it suits oily, ache-prone sensitive skin.
- Has a sweet fragrance which is acceptable.
- Non- comedogenic and paraben–free.
- Leaves white cast
- Not applicable for extra-sensitive skin and can cause break-outs.
Wow Skin Science Anti-Pollution Sunscreen Lotion
Wow, Skin Science Anti-Pollution sunscreen has all-in-one protection with alter monas ferment extract, licorice extract, and vitamin B3 is sunscreen recommended by dermatologists. The presence of bioactive plant extracts ensures safety from tanning, premature aging, and pigmentation in your skin. It protects your skin from sun radiation which is likely to cause skin cancers.
- Gives protection to the skin from UV rays and pollution
- Is free from propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol
- Does not leave a white cast.
- Suitable for normal and dry skin.
- Contains SPF which reduces skin cancer, and sunburn and avoids blotchy skin.
- It is water and sweat resistant.
- Free from paraben and Sulphates
- Clinically Proven
- Not suitable for oily skin
La Shield Sunscreen Gel
The La Shield Sunscreen is highly recommended for oily skin by dermatologists as it is non-greasy which gives a matte finish. It is allergy and irritation free for your skin. It contains antioxidants that make your skin wrinkles-free with high protection from harmful sun radiation. It is hybrid sunscreen with a mixture of both chemical and physical filters.
- Protection from UVA and UVB with SPF 50 and PA+++
- It is oil-free and is designed for skin brightening.
- Safe for pregnant women and babies above 6 months
- It’s dermatologically tested and non-comedogenic
- Has water-resistant properties, is paraben-free, and alcohol-free.
- Contains zinc oxide and Titanium diode which leaves a white cast.
- Has a heavy artificial fragrance.
Mamaearth Ultra-Light Indian Sunscreen
The Mamaearth Ultra-Light Indian sunscreen is rich in natural ingredients. The organic composition of carrot seed oil, turmeric, and orange oil gives it moisturizing properties, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This product is designed for Indian skin and is highly recommended by dermatologists that protects your skin from the summer in India. Its non-sticky sunscreen heals inflammation and reduces redness which is caused by seasonal changes as well.
- Protects against UVA and UVB damage.
- Suitable for all skin types
- Reduces tanning and keeps skin nourished.
- Quickly absorbed by the skin without leaving any white patches on the skin
- Keeps skin naturally hydrated
- Free from silicones, sulfates, phthalates, parabens, and artificial colors.
- For dry skin, you will need to combine it with another moisturizer.
- Has a strong herbal scent which might not be suitable for a sensitive nose.
BELLO Photostable Sunscreen Emulgel
BELLO Photostable Emulgel, manufactured by Bello Ltd is designed for the diagnosis or treatment of acne, UV protection, skin elasticity, pigment disorder, and UV absorber and prevents premature aging. This contains vitamin E, antioxidants, and anti-aging and skin-nourishing properties. This can be used under BB or CC creams as well as it easily gets peeled off.
- It is Broad- spectrum i.e protects from UVA and UVB rays
- It has high photostability for 8 hours
- Made suitable with skin pH level
- Hypoallergenic (Unlikely to cause any allergic reaction)
- It is non-comedogenic and fragrance-free
- It has a non-sticky and non-greasy texture
- No white caste and patches
- Suitable for normal and dry skin
- Not suitable for oily skin or combined skin types
- Has an oily and shiny finish
Kaya Sensitive Sunscreen SPF15
Kaya Sensitive Sunscreen SPF15 is perfume free sunscreen specially designed for sensitive skin types. Kaya is your one-stop solution if you have sensitive skin and have lots of trouble figuring out the right product. Kaya Sensitive Sunscreen SPF15 is clinically proven and is highly recommended by dermatologists in India for sensitive skin.
- It shields the skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays
- Protects from premature aging
- Has a light texture and non-greasy
- Developed with hypoallergenic quality and perfume free by a dermatologist
- Gives a soft silky matte finish
- Does not clog pores
- Non- comedogenic
- Has low SPF which mainly protects from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
Z Block UVB SPF 50+ PA+++ Sunscreen Gel
Z Block UVB SPF 50+ PA+++ Sunscreen Gel is used for protection against damage from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation. It is mainly composed of ingredients like glycerin, vitamin E acetate, and zinc oxide which acts as a protective layer like ozone that protects your skin from harmful sun rays.
- Prevents tanning, sunburn, and premature aging.
- Paraben-free and water-resistant.
- Suitable for all skin types
- Provides a silky-smooth, non-oily matte finish
- Has a moisturizing agent that pulls water into the outer layer of the skin from a deeper level of your skin.
- Beneficial for inflammatory acne and related scarring.
- Does not contain any harmful chemicals.
- No white cast
- Chemical-free and artificial fragrance-free
- It is not lightweight
- Not good for oily and acne-prone skin
- Gel-based sunscreen
- Waxy finish
Neutrogena Oil-free Moisturizer SPF15
Neutrogena Oil-free Moisturizer SPF15 has long-lasting moisture with protection from harmful sun radiations for softer, smoother, and younger skin. It is composed of special ingredients with Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Phenylbenzimidazole, Sulfonic Acid, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, and Phenoxyethanol. It prevents premature signs of aging caused by everyday exposure to the sun’s damaging rays.
- Lightweight, non-greasy lotions that keep skin moisturized for 12 hours.
- Gets absorbed quickly
- No fragrance dyes free and oil-free
- Does not clog pores that cause the skin to break out
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested
- Specially designed for sensitive skin
- Does not contains alcohol
- Wear off after a couple of hours
- Has a longer drying time
- Has 3 paraben ingredients which are antifungal preservative chemicals along with some bad side effects
IPCA Acne UV Gel
IPCA Acne UV Gel is one of the best sunscreen recommended by a dermatologist in India as it is formulated for acne-prone and sensitive skin and matches Indian skin types. It is highly composed of sun-protecting ingredients that protect your skin from sunburn and aging. It has UVA and UVB fitters to provide broad-spectrum protection to skin from sun radiation.
- Has a gel-like texture that improves skin hydration.
- No alcohol and added dyes
- Paraben Free
- Suitable for acne-prone sensitive skin
- Does not leave a white cast
- Does not clog pores or acne
- Works well under BB cream
- Gets fully absorbed into the skin
- Water-resistant and oil-free
- Dermatologically tested
- Not suitable for dry or normal skin
- Has clinical fragrance
- Has Silicone(although it has less concentration and might not suit some skin)
Brinton UV Doux Silicone Sunscreen Gel SPF 50
Brinton UV Doux Silicone sunscreen provides high protection SPF 50 with PA. It protects against both UVA and UVB radiations. It tends to block 98% of UVB rays. This gel does not leave any kind of greasy feeling on the skin. It has a powerful layer of anti-oxidants with a lightweight texture. Due to its photostability, it is also one of the best sunscreen recommended by a dermatologist in India.
- SPF 50 and PA provide adequate sun protection
- Oil-free and non–greasy formulation
- Absorbs quickly
- Has photostability
- Do not clog skin pores
- Dermatologically proven suitable for all skin types
- The pleasant fragrance fades away in a minute
- No white cast
- Can cause allergy (only use after recommendation by a dermatologist)
- Needs to re-apply after longer exposure to water
- Cannot be applied near eyelids
- Contains silicon, octinoxate, and added fragrance which is not good in the long term for sensitive skin
Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel Sunscreen
Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel sunscreen is Japanese sunscreen that is rich in water and feels like a splash of water over your face. It is a light and silky gel- serum with a pale milky yellow hue. It contains ingredients like antioxidant Vitamin E and Dimethicone. The formula also contains arginine, amino acid, and an anti-ager that boosts collagen synthesis.
- Protects against free-radical damage
- Creates ultra-smooth texture
- Makes skin glow and can be worn under makeup
- Contains SPF that protects from sun radiation
- Light and gets absorbs fast
- Provides watery essence
- Applied nicely without traces of white cast
- Waterproof in nature
- Clinically proven and Eco- friendly product
- Contains high alcohol
- Leaves sticky finish
- Has Fragrance
Solasafe Sunscreen Gel SPF 50+
Solasafe SPF 50 silicon sunscreen gel prevents your skin from aging and protects users from harmful sun radiation forming a layer on the skin. Its protecting layer on skin prevents the both UVA and UVB rays making it one of the best sunscreens recommended by dermatologists.
- It decreases the depth of wrinkles
- Sweat and water resistant
- Suits every skin type
- Non-sticky and long-lasting protection
- Creates Matte effect is non-oily and non-greasy
- Provides fairness and brightness to your skin
- Prescribed by dermatologists
- Causes unsealed tubes with stain
- Leaves a white cast and is not suitable for deeper skin tones.
- Contains harmful stuff like bleach (a fairness-providing agent)
Derma Essentia Sunscreen Gel SPF 50
Derma Essentia Sunscreen with SPF 50 PA +++ is non-sticky, lightweight sunscreen which is formulated with natural products for the protection of your skin from harmful UVA, UVB, and Infrared rays of the sun and growing pollution. It is a sunscreen recommended by dermatologists that spreads to provide uniform, prolonged and consistent protection to your skin.
- Provides antioxidant, pollution protection, and skin-lightening effects
- Protects from UVA, UVB, and Infrared rays
- Non-oily and non-sticky
- Suitable for all skin types
- Designed in an Encapsulated Nanotechnology
- Ensures longer protection and gets absorbed easily
- No white cast
- It has fragrance-like hair removal cream which many people might not prefer.
In conclusion, different skin types prefer different products. Ensure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients listed on the product that you are choosing. Although these sunscreens are dermatologically proven and are labeled perfect by many people as it suits their skin types and the fragrance is liked by their nose.
By analyzing your skin type and requirement, you can go ahead and add up one of the 13 best sunscreens that are recommended by dermatologists in India to your daily skincare routine. With the use of these products, you can protect your skin not only from the sun’s harmful radiation but also from pollution.